Jenkins Independent Schools
Classes of 1912 - 2016
Check out this link for more Jenkins Pictures
Copy and paste in browser
Front of Jenkins Schools around 1913
McRoberts School Building around 1912
Burdine-July 8, 1913
Dunham Store Sept 22, 1913
Provided Drinking Water for Jenkins and Surrounding Area. Eventually known as the Jenkins Kiwanis Club Swimming Pool.
Construction of Jenkins Dam (Elkhorn Dam) June 1912. This was built to run the electric generators to provide the town of Jenkins and surrounding coal properties electricity to operate the mines. This was also to become the primary water source for Jenkins.
Elkhorn Dam July 31, 1912
Elkhorn Dam Oct. 14, 1912
Elkhorn Dam after completion and water flowing over the dam.
Beginning Construction of Power Plant and Smoke Stack
Power Plant Smoke Stack Near Completion
Power House and Smoke Stack in Operation
Looking Towards Power Plant from
Brick Plant in Jenkins August 15, 1912. All of the brick used in Jenkins was manufactured at this plant.
Consolidated Coal Company, Main Office Building July 1913
General Managers House 1914
General Managers House 1914 from the rear. Notice side porch on the Jenkins Hotel on left.
John C.C Mayo, Mr. Buckingham and other unidentified persons standing in front of the Jenkins hotel on Lakeside. Mr. Mayo was the person who put together this large tract of land which became Consolidated Coal Company and was the person who got the C & O Railroad to put the rails from Ashland to Jenkins. He was an associate of people like Andrew Carnegie, Franklin Roosevelt, Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone and other "mover and shakers" at the turn of the 20th century.
View down Oak Street on Lakeside about 1914
View of McRoberts Shea Fork
Meat Shop and Store in McRoberts. Another example of how Consolidated Coal Company gave great thought to providing the necessities of life for the miner's who worked in such remote areas of their vast holdings.
Bakery in Jenkins May 6, 1913. Provided the fresh bread to the growing coal communities of Jenkins, Dunham, Burdine, and McRoberts.
View of Jenkins from Pound Gap showing the lake and power plant. It has been told that this power plant provided power to Van Lear which was another coal property owned by Consolidated Coal. Van Lear is also the homeplace of Loretta Lynn.
Mr. Snapp while at Van Lear around 1920.
C.V Snapp and others in Jenkins taken in 1934.
Mr. Snapp served in the Spanish-American War from June 20, 1898 to August 23, 1899,
JEnkins Base Ball Club